PROTECT UNBORN LIFE ! SHUT DOWN PLANNED PARENTHOOD c090214

Friday, October 21, 2011

KOK FAMILY ALBUM 6, p32-34

KOK FAMILY ALBUM 6, p32-34, 78 pages (FAM6, 32-34,78p)

P1 original album page; p2-10 this is my Uncle Gary (the youngest of the Kok boys and who I remember from growing up in Grand Rapids…we often socialized with Gary & his wife Shirley and their two kids, brian & audra… brian was my age ..we also took several summer vacations with them, camping out west, and we co-owned a cottage on lake Michigan for a few years) and Aunt Shirley at their wedding, probably in grand rapids. I think Shirley was from New Jersey, but the two of them met at Calvin College; p11-13 this is my dad, Jim, with baby Julie ? in Hanford, California in 1964 where my grandfather Rev Gareth Kok was a pastor later in life (after Bellflower, Holland, Edgerton, Hills, et.al)  p14-18, sept 2, 1963 …day after Jim’s ordination into the CRC…with his dad, Gareth, also an ordained CRC pastor; p19 original album page; p20-47 mom’s 4th grade class (that she taught) in Livonia, Michigan (near Ann Arbor) while Jim was doing CPE at University of Michigan hospital (I went a little crazy on the pics of mom, experimenting with the different functions on my photo editor…kind of psychedelic) ; p38-39 this may be the hospital where dad worked in Ann Arbor, or is it their apartment building? ;p40-49 well, this is definitely the hospital, so the previous must be their apartment building;  p50-52 “shower gifts from Jim’s hospital friends; p53 original album page; p54-71 this is the land in Newaygo, Michigan, that my dad bought with his friend Tony Diekema …they planned to plant Christmas Trees and sell them…and they actually did clear the land & plant the seeds or saplings, but apparently never followed up on harvesting them … Tony went on to become president of Calvin College, my dad went into ministry .. and they still own the land as of October 2011 .. I went there a few times with my dad and later with a few highschool friends  even built a teepee there one time with dave dejong & rick byle and slept there overnight (the late rick byle, that is); … lots of trees, very  wooded now..& lots of deer, the people next door even put out salt licks (illegally) on my dad’s land (which I told them to remove one time)…wonder what will become of this land, if anything, some day; p72-77Woody & Ruth family Christmas, 1962 … I’ve mentioned my Uncle Sherwood previously..and ther’s some pics of him as a child with my dad growing up in Bellflower. Sherwood went into the Army after a few years at Calvin College. He rose up thru the ranks to Lieutenant Colonel and served in Vietnam as well as Germany. I think it was hard on him & his family. Sherwood died at a young age, and his son, Gary, as well as daughter, Kathy, also have already passed away. They had a large family including sons Bob, Sherwood Jr., Bill, Gary, & David, as well as daughter, Kathy. We had a few social gatherings with them from time to time. Uncle Sherwood also worked as a Kent County Sheriff deputy for a few years as well as at the county jail after retiring from the army.